Climbing is not a trendy add-on, but rather a relevant and beneficial activity that encourages the physical, mental, social and emotional growth of each participant. Listed below you will find ten great reasons to consider as you ponder the development of a climbing wall program at your facility.
1. Climbing is a lifelong activity that is attractive to a wide range of people and can be offered in a variety of settings:
Park and Recreation Centers
Child Care Facilities
Family Fun Centers
Hospitals and Rehabilitation Centers
Occupational Therapy Facilities
2. Climbing offers versatility. Walls come in a myriad of shapes, sizes and surfaces to meet an assortment of programming wishes and requirements.
3. The activity of climbing satisfies the interests and needs of today’s contemporary society and could revitalize your programming.
4. Climbing contributes to overall physical fitness through:
Aerobic and anaerobic activity
Increased cardiovascular fitness
Enhanced balance, coordination and flexibility
Increased muscle strength and endurance
Improved motor planning
Enhanced body awareness
5. Climbing wall activities provide opportunities for social-emotional skill building:
Increased self-knowledge, self-confidence and self-reliance
Enhanced patience, perseverance, courage, trust, willpower and self-control
Positive risk taking
Awareness of others
6. Climbing wall activities enhance cognitive skills:
Problem-solving, including the identification of multiple solutions for challenges
Decision and judgment making
Increased focus and concentration
Visualization and mental imaging
Following directions and safety rules
7. Climbing walls provide opportunities for cross-curricular programming in content areas such as:
Communication (listening, speaking and writing) through team challenges and individual writing
Mathematics (unique climbing activities require participants to solve math problems) All subject areas (endless possibilities through collaboration with colleagues in other subject areas)
8. Climbing wall activities provide a setting for real-life experiences in meeting challenges, traveling beyond one’s “comfort zone” and developing character.
9. Climbing wall activities emphasize cooperation versus competition and encourage the development of a climate where “everybody wins” and success for all is the common by-product.
10. Climbing wall activities are fun, exciting, challenging and engaging!
Contributed by Eric Stevens, Everlast Climbing™
You can download the most recent climbing catalog right here: Everlast Climbing™ Catalog
The LuckyDog Team is pleased Everlast Climbing™ is one of the Playcore companies we represent.
Call us today and create the perfect indoor playground for your own team.
Nicole Stoddard, LuckyDog Recreation Sales and Marketing (800) 388-2196
Rhetta McIff, Utah Creative Play Designer (385) 222-1030 Leslie Smith, Idaho Creative Play Designer (208) 521-8997